Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tis the season of change!

I went for my usual hike up the side of Mt Tom today. You know, up the telephone line trail to the top. It is my preferred method of ascent as it is the steepest and shortest way to get all the way up.

On the way down I got whiffs of that "fall" smell. The dead-dry leaf smell coupled with pine pitch. An all to familiar smell up atop Mt. Tom. I am looking forward to the leaves falling completely so I can scope out the sights and check out a few odd...or old...trails I have come across in the middle of the woods.

The wildlife study atop Mt. Tom also seems to be continuing. Oxbow Associates is performing a pretty thorough examination of the local flora and fauna at the request of Holyoke Gas and Electric. Although I do not know of too many details, what I do know is that they are interested in installing wind and/or solar energy equipment atop the mountain. I'm still not sure where I stand on this. They need to release more details before I come to a conclusion.

---
On a different note of 'change', the wife and I have become addicted to a new show on TV, "Weeds." The show follows the life of a windowed mom of two who turns to selling marijuana to provide support for her family in an affluent fictional development in CA. Her world starts spinning round and round when things spiral out of control without warning. Sounds odd, yes, but really...it's a funny show!

Mary-Louise Parker plays the naive mom of two breaking into the Mary-Jane dealing world. She hooks up with a few street-smart growers and dealers, and the result is most entertaining. Just picture a rich, innocent-looking white mom deposited into the back-street drug-using subculture. Seem a little out of place?

Throughout the show they do use pretty good taste and the actual use of drugs is not shown heavily on screen. The producers also do an excellent job of reeling in the comedy once in a while to remind viewers that the world of drug dealing can be quite serious despite the light-hearted on-screen scenes.

Check it out on Netflix on-demand, Netflix DVD rentals, or the latest episodes on the Showtime channel.

No comments: